The colour blue has historically been expensive and difficult to produce but these days you can just magic it up out of a can. How’s that for convenient? Anyway I think viewing James Cameron’s Avatar on the weekend seems to have had a subconscious effect on me as this study in blue just spontaneously suggested itself whilst I was waiting for the paint to dry on something else.
The picture is based on a photo of a friend and once i’d completed the image I thought it needed a little something to finish it off. Reaching for my trusty Dymo I came up with some text which I think sets it all off quite nicely. The text reads ‘Since we cannot change reality, let us change the eyes which see reality’. Which I reckon is quite fitting for someone who works in PR…
Bonus fact – Blue eyes actually contain no blue pigment. The colour is caused by an effect called Rayleigh scattering, which also makes the sky and sea appear blue. So there.
My story starts…
It’s Music to my ears
Boards in situ
Boards in situ
There I was enjoying my regular afternoon nap when the big red id-iomphone rings rousing me from my slumber. After staring at it quizically for a while and hoping it would just stop I finally came to the conclusion it wasn’t going to stop and the only thing for it was to answer it. It was the world of PR and they needed our help, stat! There was an important pitch coming up that needed securing and our assistance was required to provide some artwork that would help convince the client that this PR company was the one to work with. Sounds like a job for id-iom…
As seems to be the case with these things it needed done, like, yesterday so the first thing we needed was to come up with a couple of suitable designs. A minimum of back-and-forth had us two approved images so then it was onto the task of putting the images on two sets of boards each measuring 1.2m x 2.4m. Which is pretty big. So we eventually went for three A0 boards stuck together for each piece. A good few hours stencil cutting followed by a night out on Saturday led to a somewhat later than planned start on Sunday. Thankfully though the hard work had been done by then and we managed to get it all completed and then installed in the office on Monday morning. I’m not yet sure if they got they succeeded with their pitch but they liked the pieces so all is well. What’s next?
Since moving to London many moons ago we seem to accumulated a disproportionately large stable of PR friends. Now i’m not certainly not knocking them as I love them all and they have come in handy on more than one occasion but i’m just not entirely sure why this has come to pass or what it says about us ! Anyway, i digress…
We were commissioned by one of our friends who works for Six PR to create an image that was to be printed as an A1 poster for her office wall. It was to be PR related and had to feature the Six PR logo. That was pretty much as far as the design brief went. From there on in we just did as we wanted…
The background features the CV of the person who commissioned it turned into binary code and the Old Man has the Six PR logo for his shining left PR powerblast eye. There are also 6 sixes in different colours in the background to really drive home the Six PR point and that’s pretty much job done. I’m sure that makes it sound like it was less work than it was but coming up with the plan is always the toughest part.
The most annoying thing with this project was trying to remember throughout that the poster was going to be printed up at A1 and so the file had to fairly massive to ensure the image didn’t pixellate at all. At least we got there in the end.
Go to our flickr page here for a larger version of the image.